Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Day 1 in San Juan Capistrano

We did the drive over two days, just like last time.  Monday we drove from Boise to Bishop, then Tuesday from Bishop to San Juan.  The trip was long, very long, but uneventful.  It didn't help that I didn't sleep well in Bishop for some reason so the second day was especially arduous.  We were relieved to arrive unscathed in San Juan and get the boys settled into their stalls.  We were so tired we ordered a pizza delivery (normally we're all over the Mexican restaurants down here!).

Today I handwalked the boys in the morning then worked them in the afternoon.  They were both idiots, just idiots hand-walking.  Bolero was higher than a kite (which was expected, as this is his first show back in well over a year), but Victor was also an idiot, piaffing and passaging and occasionally leaping through the air.  Goofy horses.  After we found a cheap but really good little Mexican place for lunch and took a nice nap (we were both still exhausted!), we went back to the barn and I rode Victor and lunged Bolero.  Victor was pretty good, ramped up and a little strong but otherwise ok.  Bolero was a nutcase on the lunge initially but eventually settled down and worked quite well.

We are having a bit of a logistics problem as the CDI horse (Victor) and the National show horse (Bolero) ended up in different barns.  My tack stall was originally with Victor and I have a second stall (that was supposed to be for Majek) with Bolero in the National barn.  I decided to put Victor and Bolero together in the CDI barn so our tack stall is way the hell and gone away from the horses.  I rented a golf cart, so that's been working as a transport for everything from the tack stalls to the horses.  It's very silly, and I tried to change it when I arrived but to no avail.  Oh well we'll just make it work.

We found another Mexican place for dinner (we love Mexican food) and are now back at the hotel.  Tomorrow I have an early lesson with Leslie (8am) then we have the jog in the early afternoon.  I will also school Bolero in the arenas on my own tomorrow.  The GP is Friday and Bolero's first test is Saturday.  Looking forward to a great show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment