Sunday, March 22, 2015

CDI-W GP Freestyles in San Juan

Today was a big day for American dressage, with the final qualifier for the Las Vegas World Cup here in SJC.  Steffen is the favorite to earn the top spot, and he delivered with a very technical and well-ridden performance on his "firecracker" mount Legolas (who gets a little revved up with the music). 

Victor and I went early in the class (second to go, after our NW friends Jessica Wisdom and Cardi).  I was very happy with many parts of my ride, some things that we had worked on throughout the week were much better and Victor has gotten very honest in the ring.  I was able to do some things in the test that worked just like they did in the warm-up which is great for our mutual confidence.  I did have some unfortunate mistakes in the changes, both the ones and the twos.  Those need some more attention.  But overall I hit my music spot-on, and was able to make the pirouettes smaller (they were a little large in the GP).  He looks so much more through and closed-up behind than he did even in Burbank (I watched the video, courtesy of Lana), so I am encouraged by our progress. I was a little disappointed to only score a little over 68% (I had hoped to break 70), but I was encouraged when I saw that FEI "O" judge Stephen Clarke had me at almost 70% (and gave me the highest score). 

I'm still on the waiting list for next weekend's CDI (it is so unusual for a CDI to fill up!!), but I have a shot of getting in thanks to the paranoia of other riders trying to qualify for Pan-Ams.  I had forgotten that many riders are trying to qualify, and if they got their scores this weekend, they are inclined to scratch to not risk lowering their average with a bad ride next weekend.  I hadn't thought of that, so there have actually been a few scratches for next weekend.  Fingers crossed that I can get in!!!  Would love to get into next weekend's CDI and further learn how to ride tests to the super-high standards down here. :)

Bolero had a light day today and just hand-walked.  Tomorrow I will hand-walk both boys and all of us will have a much-needed rest day.  Tuesday we will be back at it as the FEI jog is on Wednesday and the next show starts Thursday.  I entered Bolero all three days in Third level, and I'm going to try powering him up a little and see how that goes.  I was encouraged by how settled he's been (after his initial drama).  Victor's GP (if he gets into the CDI) will be Thursday as well.

Also I decided to go to Rancho Murieta the first weekend in April for another CDI.  It will both give us another CDI GP experience (and Bolero more show experience), while splitting up our long drive home.  It's a great show and a little quieter than the shows down here (not that it matters, both boys are handling the environment down here very well).  That means we will be driving home Sunday, April 5th (at least I think it's the 5th!). 

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo great to hear that it is all going so well and that you have found a novel way to break up the drive home ;-)
    Best of luck for the week ahead, I hope the improvements can continue & obviously that enough people scratch to allow you guys another shot at the CDI GP

    ReplyDelete