Thursday, February 12, 2015

T minus 5 days until departure for Burbank!!

After being gone last weekend (in Portland, teaching a clinic), I worked Victor Monday and Tuesday and rode the freestyle both times.  We're in the fine-tuning process, I'm very comfortable with the choreography and the music, so now it's just getting the two to synch up reliably.  Cindy is pretty fussy about getting it right and tweaks it just a little pretty much daily, then I ride it the next day.  We've basically got it done except for a few minor tweaks.  I'm comfortable with this process, despite being this close to the show, as I have a very good idea about how to ride a freestyle now.  A few years ago this would have made me super nervous.
Today (Wednesday) Victor had a light day and only walked for a 1/2 hour.  I would have taken him on a trail ride but it's so wet and muddy outside that I opted to stay inside.  I schooled some of our canter pirouette issues in the walk, something I hadn't thought of doing before but dawned on me today while I was wandering around.  He wants to get a bit stuck sometimes in the pirouettes so I ride in and out, making the circle smaller then bigger (sometimes in haunches in, sometimes not), making sure he stays in front of the leg. 
I worked Majek for the first time since he had his hocks injected a week ago.  Last couple days were only very light work, and before that he was being hand-walked some.  He felt ok, not great, more on the forehand than I want for a horse who will do his first GP in a week.  Luckily I have a week to get him back going again!
I have a hard time getting both Majek and Victor going equally well at the same time, I think partially because they are so different in reactivity.  If I have Victor going really well, I typically have him really good off the leg (and because he's lazy, I have to be a little strong and quick), but that tends to make Majek quite tense.  He's more sensitive, so he works better if made very loose and supple, then activated, but in a slightly quieter way than Victor.  I have to be careful not to be too aggressive.  But if I ride that way on Victor he kind of half-asses it around the arena.  I've gotten pretty good about being able to shift from one horse to the next but at this level the nuance is so important that I can easily get it wrong.
So far preparations are going well for the trip.  Lana's on top of it, and has the trailer well-organized.  I have to make sure I check the oil in the truck over the weekend, and check tire pressure in both truck and trailer and pump up the truck tires.  I typically keep the fronts at a cold pressure of 55 ppi and the backs at 80 ppi when hauling my trailer (a 5 horse Sundowner), plus I have a set of air bags over the rear wheels that I pump up to 40 ppi which helps level the truck.  Those air bags have done more to even out the pressure on my truck than anything, which really helps save my tires.  With such a heavy trailer I have to watch the tire pressure and balance of the rig much more closely than with my old, smaller trailer.
Lana's husband Bruce is going to come over this weekend and show me how to change a truck tire.  I'd rather never have to do that, but it is a useful skill to have.  I'm super handy at changing the trailer tires, thanks to a couple of blow-outs in the middle of NowheresVille, Nevada, but don't have any experience with the truck.  When traveling distances such as these, and through desolate areas (I had no idea how big our country was until I drove through Nevada!), I think it is important to know how to change tires.  There are areas of Nevada where I have no cell phone service and don't see another car for an hour.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like super preparations are going full steam ahead. Well done you for preparing for all eventualities including tyre changes. Will you be making the drive alone?
    Riding such different horses can be a blessing and a disguise, finding the balance can be tricky. So glad you're figuring out the best approach for all eventualities ☺

    ReplyDelete