Saturday, February 28, 2015

Back to work!

I put the boys back to work today.  They came home with a surprising amount of energy!  Normally they are a little lethargic for at least a couple days, but not this time.  I turned them out Wednesday morning (we got back Tuesday night) and you'd have thought they had had an entire week off with how goofy they were in turnout.  Majek ran laps around his paddock while Victor jumped straight up in the air and tried to levitate above the ground (punctuated by caprioles).  Evidently the guys couldn't catch Victor Wednesday afternoon to bring him in.  Ernie said he would walk up to you cautiously, you'd walk towards him with the halter, then he'd spin around and run off, leaping through the air.  I was happy they felt as good as they did, but then thought they should probably go back to work sooner rather than later!

I also put Bolero back to work.  He had the week or so off when I was in California.  He was also feeling his oats on the lunge line yesterday but today was much more civilized.  Since I'll be gone longer this time he's coming with us to San Juan where hopefully he will learn to behave himself again at shows.  He's very, very big (17.3, although some argue he's 18 hands), super powerful, and spooky.  When he settles down he's awesome.  Incredible.  When he's not settled it's like driving a Mack truck with not much brakes and really bad steering LOL. I signed him up for a couple Third level tests.  On a good day I can do a PSG, but on a bad day I'll have the before-mentioned steering/brake problems which would make PSG a trainwreck LOL.

I worked on Majek's piaffe and passage a little today since it wasn't that great in California.  His piaffe was much better, leaving me to think he forgot to pack it in his suitcase before we left.  With Victor I did a lot of walking and walk-halt-walk transitions.  I find that the better I can get him giving in his back and solidly on the bit in the walk, closing up from behind into the halt and moving promptly forward off a light leg aid, the better everything else is.  Plus it is a little less high stress for him and me.  Then we went for a little trail ride outside.  The outdoor arenas are very dry and ridable, which is unusual for this time of year up here.  But I think it's supposed to snow or get super cold again next week.  Yuck!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the weather stays good for.you guys and that the next trip to Cali will be even better *thumbsup*

    ReplyDelete